Thursday, November 2, 2017

Incentive Coupons in a Title 1 Classroom



































I finally uploaded the "Middle School Incentive Coupons" to my Teachers Pay Teachers Store "Secondary Scientist".

About 3 years ago after seeing my well behaved students began to take a turn for the worst. I started to see all star students withdraw and disengage from the lessons. They started to engage in distracting behaviors and seemed to relish attention from me; positive or negative. I would have on going "talks" with them, administered detentions and called parents. I exhausted all efforts and I was turning my wheels until a student said, "Whats the point of doing the right thing when you don't get anything for it?.

Although there are a lot of problems with that statement; It did provide me with insight into the mind of a middle school student.

Students need acknowledgement and appreciation just at much as adults. It was out of this need that I created these incentive coupons. I saw a need for a fixed incentive source for my well behaved students at my Title 1 school. I wanted and needed to reinforce their positive behaviors. The idea was simple:
  • Keep track of points on class dojo
  • Provide incentives for positive behaviors
  • Provide clear consequences for negative behaviors
  • Remain consistent in the plan.
By the end of the first month of implementation, I saw a significant decrease in the need for referrals or detentions. And I started to see my well behaved students hold their classmates accountable. And I also saw negative behaviors diminish entirely in my classroom. The students had clear expectations for rewards, appreciation and acknowledgement for behaving well.

At the end of a six weeks I typically allowed my students to compile unused coupons into class points on Class Dojo, each coupon was worth one point. The class with the most accrued points received a class party and movie day. 

Let me know how you implement PBIS systems into your classroom!









No comments :

Post a Comment